I come from a long line of women who love doing whatever it takes to buy something at a low price. For that reason, my mother, grandmother and I love shopping at Kohl’s, where customers can purchase stylish items while not spending extravagant amounts.
If you shop in Kohl’s for an hour, you’ll hear this message over the loudspeaker at least once or twice: “The more you know, the more you Kohl’s.” This message speaks to the department store’s big idea of helping customers save money. Lucky for us, they’re taking that strategy even further this holiday season by expanding their sales and rolling out tactics that make the integrated campaign even more integrated than last year’s holiday season.
The message of savings ring throughout shoppers’ ears in holiday-friendly statements like “Give, Save, and Be Merry” and “Give, Save, and Save Again with a Kohl’s Charge Card.” Customers can enjoy savings opportunities like Early Bird/Night Owl sales, Kohl’s Cash and special Kohl’s charge card holder discounts. Shoppers will learn about deals available through:
- Print: Kohl’s advertised four pre-Thanksgiving sales and plenty of post-Thanksgiving/pre-Christmas ads/shoppers.
- Social Media: Kohl’s social media mix includes Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, with the latter being its most useful, according to this Yahoo! Finance article.
“The company has seen substantial growth of its Facebook fan base, which has more than doubled since 2009 and now exceeds 2.8 million. As a result, Kohl’s will continue to increase interaction on the site, making it easier for customers to shop and share their experiences.”
- Mobile: Kohl’s fans can shop from their mobile phones and use special discounts they may have, something they couldn’t do before. Also in the same vein, if store visitors don’t find exactly what they want in the store, they can order online from in-store kiosks and have the item(s) shipped to their homes for free.
- Email Alerts: Those registered for Kohl’s emails will receive plenty of discounts throughout November and December.
- Direct Mail: Kohl’s charge card holders will receive plenty of money-saving mail from Kohl’s this year, including “Pick-Your-Day” sales. I know from experience that these pieces work, especially with my mother and grandmother. They always ask themselves if the other got the 15%, 20% or 30% coupon. If they got the measly 15%, they try to find someone who has the 20% or 30% since shopping passes can often be reused.
- TV/Radio: Kohl’s uses TV and radio ads to attract audiences nationwide.
- In-Store: I would say in-store marketing is important to any clothing retailer and Kohl’s does a great job of reminding you where you are and giving you incentives to continue shopping or return to shop. Examples of this include Kohl’s cash, the loud speaker announcements and displays at the registers.